[Lab] Carvey CNC

Darcy Whyte darcy at inventorartist.com
Tue Oct 21 11:00:14 EDT 2014

Not sure if everyone saw this CNC in Hackaday (below)...

I think CNC is an under-appreciated technology for artists, hackers and
other makers...

I thought It might be fun to talk about it here since there's been so much
talk about CNC at the past few meetups.

One of the newcomers to last Tuesday's meetup bought one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-CNC-Router-3040-with-USB-engraving-drilling-and-milling-machine-engraver-/231364625717

I can't wait to see how that goes.

This is really the reason I started the Marauder CNC project a million
years ago. To cover this lower end interest. Initially I had imagined an
enclosure like the Carvey. Recently I figured out you don't need an
enclosure to keep the dust down. In fact you only need a piece of plastic
and a rubber band http://inventorartist.com/cnc-dust-control/. Of course
you want to have a nice quiet vacuum system with a dust extractor as well.

The other thing is with these inexpensive Chinese machines it might not be
worth it. I'm wondering if there is an elegant design that can compete with
this stuff. The Marauder will be an open source design
http://inventorartist.com/marauder-cnc/

Is there a combination of hardboard/mdf/extruded aluminum/styrofoam that
can go together easy and be significantly cheaper than these Chinese
desktops.

There can't be more than 500 bucks to be saved by making it yourself. Is
that enough to make a new design?

--
Darcy Whyte

Art+ inventorArtist.com <http://inventorartist.com/> | Aviation
rubber-power.com
Contact: darcy at inventorArtist.com | 613-563-3634 by appointment (no text)