[Lab] Kinect Scanning and 3D Models

Paul Young paul7young at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 18:36:20 EST 2014

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Kinect for real-time
visual art/3D scanning/etc.? I've used it with Unity3D to provide gesture
input but it was very abstracted and made easy to use for games. I
currently interested in its 3D scanning capabilities and I'm wondering what
kind of quality/resolution/issues the Kinect has when it comes to scanning.
I'd like to scan my head (seems like a standard Kinect scanning item) and
I'm wondering if the scan is fairly accurate and the model output is 1:1
real size, if it's not how can that be adjusted. Any help or pointers would
be appreciated.

--
Paul Young