[Pdmtl] "VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument" from #camera

James Harkins jamshark70 at gmail.com
Ven 25 Mar 06:59:39 EDT 2011

Quick summary of the problem:

Ubuntu Lucid (2.6.33-29-realtime), 64-bit, pd 0.42.5-extended, installed gridflow from the puredyne PPA [1].

gf_tutorial_image_* patches work beautifully (and are VERY cool!).

[#camera 0] gives me interesting errors. Simple patch:

[toggle]

[metro 200]

[#camera 0]

[#out window]

Creating the #camera produces this in the console:

camera supports palettes : 8
request use of palette 8
print: symbol videodev

Then I get this when activating the toggle.

print: symbol sdl
error: [#io.videodev in /dev/video0 0] inlet 0 method bang: alloc_image: ioctl VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument
... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.
error: [#io.videodev in /dev/video0 0] inlet 0 method bang: alloc_image: ioctl VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument
error: [#io.videodev in /dev/video0 0] inlet 0 method bang: alloc_image: ioctl VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument
error: [#io.videodev in /dev/video0 0] inlet 0 method bang: alloc_image: ioctl VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument

I can open the #camera panel, and it tells me:

BisonCam,_NB_Pro
Pick a camera: 0
Driver API: ...v4l1 (I tried the other Linux drivers, no dice)
All others at defaults

Now... if I run one of the live video examples from Gem, no problem -- the camera works perfectly. It also works in other Linux apps. It breaks only in gridflow. (This is where the web hasn't helped me -- I see discussions where the camera wasn't working for any app, but not this case. Also, I tried switching is_pwc [I assume this is the "use PWC" toggle in the camera panel?] as recommended on the gridflow FAQ, but it didn't make a difference.)

I've checked out the latest from svn, but I'm having some trouble satisfying libglew's dependencies. That's a general Ubuntu question, though, not specifically gridflow.

Any ideas would be appreciated -- thanks -- if it would be better to read the camera from Gem and pipe that into gridflow, that would be okay with me. The main point is to be able to use #labelling.

James

[1] https://launchpad.net/~puredyne-team/+archive/ppa/+files/gridflow_9.12-1%7Eppa1%7Elucid1_amd64.deb

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world