[Pdmtl] [PD] ANN: Purity dynamic patching for Python release 0.1.1

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 6 11:58:40 EDT 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, marius schebella wrote:

> I guess I am looking for something like:
> for i in range(20000):
>   obj1 = pdobj.osc~(i)
>   obj2 = pdobj.throw~("bus-1")
>   pdconnect(obj1 0, obj2 0)
> obj1 = pdobj.receive~("bus-1")
> obj2 = pdobj.dac~
> pdconnect(obj1 0, obj2 0 1)

What I had made in 2002 or so, was something with this syntax:
   for i in 0...20000
     obj1 = FObject[:"osc~",i]
     obj2 = FObject[:"throw~",:"bus-1"]
     obj1.connect 0, obj2, 0
   end
   obj1 = FObject[:"receive~",:"bus-1"]
   obj2 = FObject[:"dac~"]
   obj1.connect 0, obj2, 0
   obj1.connect 0, obj2, 1

except that the colon prefix (to mean symbol instead of string) didn't
exist in ruby yet, and except that this system wasn't connected with pd in
that direction, so you couldn't create those pd objects from ruby. also
eventually i got to think that symbol-string differences are useless.

this is just an example syntax, just to say that this kind of stuff
existed in some form at some point and so, it's a precedent that can be
used as inspiration if one wants to. (the python syntax is a bit
different, but i thought it's similar enough that I may as well quote an
actual example of my old ruby stuff)

> and then call this script from within pd itself, hehe...

This is the kind of thing I had back then, exactly: things that were
officially externals, that were small scripts, that built a patch as if it
were some kind of abstraction.