[Pdmtl] puredata conference - Montreal

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 13 07:20:38 EDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> Le 12 Octobre 2004 08:30, Matju a écrit :
> > The Montreal one is going to compete for attention with the Graz one.
> Instead of competing, let's consider this event as complementary.

If you want this to be so in practice: Figure out whether a Graz 2005 conf
is actually going to happen (it has been called a success, and the people
there sounded willing to make another one, but I don't know how much of an
effort and/or risk it is for them to get funding). Then figure out at
which date it is going to happen. And then there are options:

1. Make this an event with a strong bias towards North America (is this
some kind of affirmative action? just kidding). Then the two confs
wouldn't intersect much in their attendance.

2. Make this an event scheduled at a wholly different time; for example
May 2005, assuming a Graz 2005 would be in one year from now.

3. (1 _and_ 2)

4. Collaborate directly with them to make a single Graz/Montreal 2005
(tele)conference. Would be high-tech and would tie in with the
technological investments of the SAT and InterAccess. However how much
would it be a really united conference is as much of a social challenge
as it is a technological one. I suppose a lot of people will want to share
things over the ocean, and I suppose the stations reserved for
telepresence would be few and implemented in only one room per involved
city...

> > ... and all of those people have to deal with the thick Montreal-French
> > accent too.
> If we can understand Belorussian-English, they can understand
> French-Canadian-English.

Now dat I'm tinking ahboutit, I tink dat yoo may be right. De Kaybaik
accent is vehree eesee too onderstahnd.

> Another possibility is to find a big country house outside of Montreal...

Alright. Let's go in the Laurentides, with no other village in a radius of
50km, founding a commune. Groovy. Seven days of peace, love, and pure
data.