[Pdmtl] [DISFA] Bill Verplank talks: Wed. (17 Nov.) and Fri. (19 Nov.) (fwd)

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 15 22:41:36 EST 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:13:40 -0500
From: Andrew Brouse <abrouse at gmail.com>
To: Digital Image/Sound and the Fine Arts <disfa at encs.concordia.ca>
Subject: [DISFA] Bill Verplank talks: Wed. (17 Nov.) and Fri. (19 Nov.)

Bill Verplank from CCRMA at Stanford will be giving two talks this
week at the McGill Faculty of Music. (555 Sherbrooke O.) Anyone
interested in "physical computing" and other such tasty morsels should
find these talks edifying.

All are welcome.

Andrew

The Faculty of Music and CIRMMT present Bill Verplank, CCRMA, Stanford
University in two presentations this week.

Talk #1:
When:  Wednesday, 17 November 2004, 3 - 5 PM
Where: E-230 (MTCL), Faculty of Music, McGill University
Title: Haptics and Scanned Sythesis
Abstract:

Haptics and Scanned Sythesis: How controllers with active
force-feedback lead to a new music synthesis scheme.  At Interval
Research, Bill Verplank, Rob Shaw and Max Mathews invented a scheme
for music synthesis that starts with haptically manipulating a dynamic
object (real or virtual) whose shape is scanned at audio rates.

Talk #2:
When:  Friday, 19 November 2004, 3:45 PM
Where: E-209, Faculty of Music, McGill University
Title:  Physical Interaction Design
Abstract:

We have developed a course on the design of "controllers" based on the
premise that the physical design of interfaces influences the style of
human-computer interaction.  By inventing new devices, we experiment
with new forms of interaction.

Rather than comparing existing devices like joysticks and tablets, we
build with simple components (potentiometers, force-sensitive
resistors, photo resistors, shaft encoders).  We teach some basic
electronic for sensors, microporcessor programming, OSC and Pd for
music processing.  Then the students build devices that must work.

I will describe some of my philosophy of interaction design
(metaphors, modes, mappings, etc) as well as some of the projects.
Our theme this year is "expressive" control and what allows it.