[Lab] Maker Space Equipment Safety Certifications

Stephen Burke steve at envirolaser.com
Mon Apr 17 13:02:07 EDT 2017

Good afternoon everyone!

Whenever I am asked to provide a quote for 3D printing, laser cutting
and 3D scanning equipment, I am often asked to provide proof of safety
certification for the quoted equipment.

CSA certification is typically stipulated by colleges and universities.
In Ontario, ESA certification may be sufficient. UL certification is the
American equivalent of the CSA.  Many manufacturers will also get their
equipment UL-C certified, which is UL's certification for Canada.
Depending on how picky the institution is, UL certification may be
considered acceptable.

I had to arrange CSA device certification for a  $110,000 3D Systems 3D
printer we sold to University of British Columbia; it cost around $1,500
for the certification. After that incident, 3D Systems made sure that
their X60 series were all CSA certified.

Envirolaser is the local authorized dealer for:

3D Systems                  3D printers, 3D scanners, & software
Artec 3D                       3D scanners & software
Flashforge                    3D printers & filament
Full Spectrum Laser    3D printers, laser cutters, material, & software
HP                                 3D scanners, printing equipment,
software, & computers
MakerBot                     3D printers, 3D scanners, filament, & software
Markforged                 3D printers, filament, & software
Robo                             3D printers & filament

If you, or any organization that you are affiliated with, is interested
in getting equipment from these manufacturers, please contact me
directly.  I can provide the certification documentation and ensure that
you purchase equipment that meets your safety guidelines.

Stephen Burke
Account Executive
Envirolaser Ltd.

613-225-4726 Ottawa Local