[Lab] seeking feedback on steppers and spindle for my DIY CNC router

Olaf Baumann olabau at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:48:04 EST 2016

Hey there,

I'm making slow but steady progress on my CNC router project.  A next step
is to decide on steppers/driver/power-supply and spindle/power-supply
options.

For a 30cm x 30cm work area design intended for wood, plastic, and thin
aluminium, here is what I have in mind:

stepper: NEMA-23, 270 oz-in, 3A, Wantai 57BYGH633
driver: TB6560
power supply: 350W 24VDC
(kit on aliexpress [1])

ER11 spindle: 400W, 12-48 VDC, 3000-12000 r/min
power supply: 48VDC
(kit on aliexpress [2])

I am told that a brushless spindle would be quieter and more accurate, but
at half the price, I think I can get by with a regular brushed DC spindle.

The 270 oz-in steppers are stronger than I need.  I could go with smaller
NEMA-17 78 oz-in steppers but I want to keep my options open for a larger
build in the future.

Any feedback on these choices?  Also, if anyone has some (similar) hardware
they no longer need, I'd be open to buying it.

regards,
Olaf

[1] stepper kit
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-ship-high-Nema-23-Stepper-Motor-270oz-in-3-0A-3-Axis-Board-3D-Printer/32710177767.html