[Lab] Ahmed's Clock - Discussion

Michael Scott michael.scott at ocsb.ca
Wed Sep 16 21:28:47 EDT 2015

Ken you're right...I had seen the dynamite clock on the news, then heard
the Ahmed story and put the two together. I saw the real thing on the news
tonight. As a high school teacher of technology (tech design, electronics,
communications, manufacturing) I would have hugged this kid with
glee...very rare anymore to have students who design and build things
anymore, especially on their own time.

We live in interesting times. Not surprised by the paranoia, it's a
generation since electronics was taught normally in tech in high school
(early 90s?); most people wouldn't recognize devices except for what they
saw as bombs on TV shows..

Michael

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Ken McKinnon <klmckinnon at rogers.com> wrote:

> I believe Micheal was referring ot an incident last week where a young man
> took a clock through airport security in Toronto.  It looked like this:
> [image:
> http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.2550843.1441579054!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_150/image.jpg]
>
> That guy got what he deserved as he just wanted to see "what would
> happen".  Well, it happened, and he is in a bit of sh*t.
>
> The one in Dallas was described as a circuit board, power supply and
> display.
> The cop described it as a "Hollywood Bomb" without describing any mass to
> be used as the explosive agent.
> The video shows a young man that is very much a geek trying to impress his
> shop teachers with his project....and a extremely overreactive response.
>
> At least he got an invite to the Whitehouse, so hopefully something good
> will come of this.
>
> Ken
>

> On 2015-09-16 6:33 PM, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>
> On 16 Sep 2015, at 20:27, Michael Scott <michael.scott at ocsb.ca> <michael.scott at ocsb.ca> wrote:
>
> Very intriguing and timely discussion topic. Lots of jurisdictions trying to make anti-drone laws; blinking lights and sounds scaring people everywhere, I can see big potential for problems. Of course, bomb clock kid had a clock actually made to look like wired timer and sticks of dynamite...
>
> Where did you read that?  I've not seen that in any of the news reports.
>
> Here's the interview with the kid.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mW4w0Y1OXE
>
> hard to fault the reactions there.
>
> Well if what you're saying is correct, but i've seen no evidence of that.  Feel free to link a reputable source and prove me wrong.
>
> -Arran
>
> Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org>
> FreeRADIUS development team
>
> FD31 3077 42EC 7FCD 32FE 5EE2 56CF 27F9 30A8 CAA2

Michael A. Scott
Dept Head of Technological Education and Computer Studies
St. Francis Xavier High School
3740 Spratt Road
Gloucester, ON
K1V 2M1
Phone:     613-822-7900
Cell/Text:  613-407-9013
Fax:         613-822-0214
michael.scott at ocsb.ca
photowagon at gmail.com
http://photowagon.ca
Facebook: ThePhotowagon
Twitter: ThePhotowagon
********************************

--
*ocsb.ca
<http://ocsb.ca/?utm_source=ocsbstaff&utm_medium=email_footer&utm_campaign=awareness>*
 | *Inspired education. Inspiring students.*

Think "green," please consider the environment before printing this email.

*Confidentiality and privacy notice: This email, including any attachments,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you received this email
and are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by email reply
and destroy all copies of the original message. This email and any
emails sent to or from the Ottawa Catholic School Board may be
transmitted or stored outside of Canada. *