[Lab] your personal experience with 3d printing

j ross waterfallclose at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 00:13:27 EDT 2015

I own a Makerbot Replicator 2X and an Ultimaker 2.  There are lots of great
printers around right now, but after doing my own research I recently
settled on the Ultimaker 2. Not cheap, but it's open, great quality, has
all the points that Stephan mentioned (standard filament, heated bed, large
print area, open, etc.) great community, good software, hackable and very
reliable (as this gen of printers goes) and takes lots of different
filaments.  I've done many successful ABS and PLA prints with it - no
problems so far.  In my opinion, it's a solid, no regrets choice if it's
within your budget.
My Makerbot 2X is getting a brain transplant - the main board fried after
the stepper cable came loose - too many demos.  I've replaced it (almost
done) with a smoothie board since I (like many others) have become quite
disenchanted with Makerbot of late.

Jeff