[Lab] How to set a clock

Raj modlab at raj.homelinux.com
Thu Sep 11 13:01:03 EDT 2014

I've always marvelled at the simplicity of the old mechanical watch setting
knob - pull it out, adjust (with excellent visual feedback and good control
over ability to move quickly to an hour and then fine-tune the minutes) and
then push it back, done.  It boggles my mind how we went from there to the
horrendous buttons, switches and complicated setting sequences for digital
watches.  Been toying with the idea of creating a clock with a single
rotary encoder to see if I can emulate the intuitive feel of a mechnical
knob.. push in the encoder, rotate it to set the time - backwards or
forwards, rotate quickly to move the time faster with an exponential rather
than linear correlation to speed of rotation).  Feel free to steal this
idea if it works for you with the only caveat that I get to see the code :)

cheers!
--Raj.