[Lab] hardwood inlay finish.

Adrian Jones adrian at woodsgood.ca
Wed Oct 22 13:13:59 EDT 2014

Darcy,

I generally have a can of each major tint but 95% of the time I use the “Natural” (untinted) on just about every kind of wood.

One thing you should be careful of with tints is that different orientations of wood grain take up differing amounts and this can leave a very splotchy finish. It is better to seal the wood with shellac (must be the dewaxed stuff) first. This will even the colour and is certainly worth the bother!

As for “Tru Oil”, I have never tried it although the video suggests it’s worth a look.

The thing that also needs to be remembered is that all of the oil finishes need multiple applications, have any excess oil removed quickly (~20 mins), and generally need additional protection. If you are doing so, wait at least 72 hours before covering any oil application with wax.

Finally, you’re right. These oil finishes are just that... you won’t have much luck rinsing your rags in water unless you use a LOTS of liquid detergent.

Many thanks,

.... Adrian