[Lab] Laser cutter venting

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Tue Jan 28 09:53:03 EST 2014

You want a vent to just go directly to the outside. Don't even need to
filter it as that adds complexity/leaks with no benefit. It may even limit
the volume so you don't have enough negative pressure around the area and
you always have leaks. Doesn't matter what your cutting, it's all bad to
breath and you want it sent outside.

If there's a sliding window you open it like a foot and make an insert with
a nozzle (like an air conditioner vent). In my case I can actually put it
in and out of the window in a few seconds. So even if it the insert leaked
a bit of cold, the window is still closed most of the time (security and
heat loss both).

I suppose it's tempting to want to remove the step of taking it in and out
of the window and I suppose if you spend a bit more time you can make sure
it doesn't leak cold. Even if one wants to try and share an exit (with lots
of other hardware, connectors, switches, sensors), why not hook it up the
easy way that works while you think about it and work on another venting
project?

Your lungs might thank you.

--
Darcy Whyte