[Lab] Kinect Scanning and 3D Models

Chadwick Boulay chadwick.boulay at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:54:46 EST 2014

Hi everyone. First time poster. Mini intro: I'm a postdoc at OHRI (Civic
hospital) doing research on brain-computer interfaces. Sometimes I do
virtual reality, muscle activations, kinematics, etc.

Besides the Kinect, the preferred camera for this application seems to be
the PrimeSense Carmine (1.09). However, Apple gobbled them up and these
cameras are no longer for sale.

The popular alternative is the ASUS Xtion Live (Pro).

Just searching for those devices will lead you to a ton of resources on 3D
scanning. Whether you use Kinect, PrimeSense Carmine, or ASUS Xtion, it
seems like the most popular is Skanect.

If you want to get higher quality then I think you'll need to look into pro
tools.

Good luck.
-Chad