[Lab] Help: Sound Reactive mobile LED system

Bucko bucko at buckoart.com
Thu Apr 24 12:03:05 EDT 2014

Hi,

I've been avoiding bothering the list about this project but after two
trips to the Modlab it looks
like it would be beneficial to send a message.

I'll be performing at the Chinatown Remixed Festival on Saturday, May
17th. I have a specific
performance idea for that event. It's a zen meditation walk remixed on
a technological level.

I will drive along Somerset and stop every few feet. At each stop I
will play a synth sound on my iphone.
Sound out from it would go into a microcontroller which would trigger
approximately 300 LEDs wrapped /
mounted on my power wheelchair. They'll produce either a twinkling or
fade light pattern.
Sound from the microcontroller would then go to a portable PA mounted
on my chair.

Sound is played. Lights sparkle. No sound. No sparkle. I stop with
each sound. Observe the moment.
Move when there is silence.

After last nights ModLab visit, the power source for this project is
concern #1 and then #2 is
controlling the lights.

First thought for #2 is to use a Teensy 3.1 with Audio Shield and
OctoWS2811 adaptor.
http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3_audio.html
http://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html

I have collected various gear in the hopes of making this project

2 x Teensy 3.1 boards
2 x Teensy Audio Shields
2 x OctoWS2811

1 x FadeCandy - Dithering USB-Controlled Driver for NeoPixels[ID:1689]
4 x 74AHC125 - Quad Level-Shifter (3V / 5V) (74AHC125) [ID:1787]

1 x Octolively Kit - Warm White - Tileable Interactive LEDs[ID:729]

1 x 5M WS2812B LED lights
1 x 5M 5050 RGB LED lights
2 x 4-pin JST SM Plug + Receptacle Cable Set[ID:578]
4 x Solderless Analog RGB LED Strip Clip Sampler[ID:1004]

1 x ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 4S1P 30C

I may need to get a different battery as I didn't realize how scary
powerful the Li-Po that
I got is.

Any help with this project on the hardware or coding side would be
much appreciated it!
I'm under a tight deadline and thought it wouldn't be so complicated
(famous last words).

Thanks to everyone who has taken a look at this so far, especially Doug!

Chris

*ID numbers from Adafruit catalog