[Lab] Removing IC

Chris De Groot cdegroot at adobe.com
Fri Dec 14 10:22:44 EST 2012

Likely the shield can be saved, the question is if the chip is savable.

If it is a through hole (in some cases the holes are too small for easy de-soldering) you need to fall back to snipping off the legs of the IC and then taking them out one at a time with a de-soldering bump, which is not that hard.

If it is an SMT device then there are still ways using a hot air gun and being careful to shield other components + picking the chip off with a screw driver.... often best to do this one outside as the better halfs often do not like the smell of roasted PCBs in the house...

Do you have a spare IC? If not which one is it that you need?

PS: this is one of those mistakes that most people make once =)

C.