[Lab] make a timing pulley

aaron at ottawarobotics.org aaron at ottawarobotics.org
Fri Jul 8 12:39:51 EDT 2011

Fantastic! I had no idea that SPD-SI.com would have the cad files
for their stuff. I can see that being very handy in the future!

Aaron

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:32:26 -0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:

> Thanks
Arron...
(like MDF). http://mambohead.com/2011/07/diy-timing-pulley/ [6]
> It
should hold the fort for a while until I can make one out of aluminum
using the completed A-Axis.
> I might break down and get one of those
gear programs. They look fun.
> But I found a way to get CAD files. You
can download them for any part at SPD-SI.com.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM, wrote:

>> CamBam can generate timing gears
for a regular 2.5D mill/router. The problem with cutting it that way is
that you don't get nice sharp edges inside the teeth. I suppose you
could do the first pass with a larger cutting tool to quickly cut the
outline and then switch to a smaller tool to get better tooth
definition.

http://www.cad2gcode.com/pulley/ [2]

>> The better one is likely
Gearotic (http://gearotic.com/index.html [3]) from the same guy that
does Mach3 for your CNC machine, but it possibly is overkill for what
you need.

>> If you dig around there are some free plug-ins or
g-code generators that will do timing gears for free but I'd likely
spend the $12 or $20 to get one of the nicer ones from above.

Aaron

wrote:

>>> I'm just about to go to General Bearing Service to pick
up a timing pulley. Once I have it and I complete my A-Axis for my mill
I will be able to make pulleys.
>>> Does anybody know the exact shape
of a timing pulley? I don't care about the flanges, just the teeth.
Perhaps I could try and make one with a 3-Axis mill? Is there a code
generator for that around? Or some shapes that will work?

Links:
------
[1] http://svstuff.com/Gears/
[2]