[Lab] time lapse photography

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Wed Jan 5 19:16:00 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:10:45PM -0500, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> Those videos are nice.

Thank you.

> Cannon probably has it on their more advanced cameras but I'm much too cheap
> for that. :) But if you run CHDK on their point and shoot, apparently you
> get all these miles of features. I think it would be cool to have a camera
> shoot every 5 seconds or so but only triggered by motion. Once you have
> CHKD, the camera has face detection. It would be cool to have it take a few
> frames every time it sees a smile.

Well, it might be on their pro series of SLRs, but it isn't on the
prosumer and below SLRs.

Actualy, I have some ethernet surveillance cameras that can do motion
detection.  I used to work for the company that built them.
	http://204.225.221.12/admin.htm
	http://lumenera.com/products/surveillance-cameras/le375.php

> Actually, I have a dSLR on my todo list. That's a separate project. No rush,
> will probably take me a month or two to get to it as this CHDK will probably
> suck back some time for a while. :)
>
> What command did you use with ffmpeg?

Here's the preliminary script I cobbled together:
	http://tricolour.net/temp/jpeg2video.sh

> I went to a directory of pictures and did
>
> ffmpeg -f image2 -i *.JPG video.mpg
>
> it ran for a while then said "Segmentation fault". video.mpg existed but was
> zero length.
>
> Should I have shrunk these pictures (from 12Meg camera)? They're like 2 or 4
> megs each.

Yeah, as you can see from the script, I used mogrify from ImageMagic to
bring each image down to vga resolution.

> Is there a better command?

See the script...

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at tricolour.net>wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:42:06AM -0500, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> > > I now of a camera that is running CHDK. (
> > > http://mambohead.com/2010/12/time-lapse-photography-and-chdk/)
> > >

> > > If anybody want's to hack around with it, let me know. I'd like to try
> > some
> > > stop motion while I'm at it. I wonder if having the camera shoot at
> > regular
> > > intervals is a good way to do simple stop motion.
> >
> > Apparently the Nikon DSLRs have an interval timer, but Canon is behind
> > on this one...  An external shutter release can fix this.
> >

> > I'm not using anything hacked to generate these.  I just set up the
> > camera on a tripod with a wired or wireless cable release and made it
> > available for anyone to trigger.  One was dinner christmas eve, another
> > two were photo booths I set up at parties:
> >        http://tricolour.net/photos/2010/12/24/19-05-03i1.mjpg.html
> >        http://tricolour.net/photos/2010/12/27/photo_booth.mjpg.html
> >
> > I then used ffmpeg to assemble a series of .jpg files into a .mp4
> >

> >        slainte mhath, RGB

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!