[Lab] time lapse photography

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sun Jan 2 12:10:45 EST 2011

Those videos are nice.

Cannon probably has it on their more advanced cameras but I'm much too cheap
for that. :) But if you run CHDK on their point and shoot, apparently you
get all these miles of features. I think it would be cool to have a camera
shoot every 5 seconds or so but only triggered by motion. Once you have
CHKD, the camera has face detection. It would be cool to have it take a few
frames every time it sees a smile.

Actually, I have a dSLR on my todo list. That's a separate project. No rush,
will probably take me a month or two to get to it as this CHDK will probably
suck back some time for a while. :)

What command did you use with ffmpeg?

I went to a directory of pictures and did

ffmpeg -f image2 -i *.JPG video.mpg

it ran for a while then said "Segmentation fault". video.mpg existed but was
zero length.

Should I have shrunk these pictures (from 12Meg camera)? They're like 2 or 4
megs each.

Is there a better command?