[Lab] Mantis -> Marauder

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sat Feb 12 10:21:34 EST 2011

I realize that it's pretty involved to make even a simple CNC mill for
cutting plastics and wood. There are nice open source projects such as the
Mantis. But for some reason, there is still a high enough complexity that
projects are not getting done in my community (despite the low cost of the
project). Perhaps the functionality of these projects isn't compelling
enough for people to make the commitment.

So I am setting out to make an open source design that is both a CNC cutter
AND a plastic extruder (like a reprap or a makerbot-cupcake
(thing-o-matic)). It will have both an endmill and a spindle.

Here's the plan as it stands (feedback, ideas and collaborators welcome!):

   - Marauder will have a work area of about 11 x 8.5 x 3".
   - It will be possible to tote it around.
   - It will be based on inexpensive parts.
   - Construction methods will use common tools.

I expect to build many prototypes during the design phase. I'm supposing
I'll sell a few of them during the process.

I have no set timeline. I've been working on this for about a month.

Marauder is the current project working name. Naming the project isn't a
priority but I'm sure something will drop out of the process.
http://mambohead.com/2011/02/marauder-extrudermill/