[Lab] Higher speed (8.0 Mbps) I/O interface with PC

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 19:21:54 EST 2011

I am not an FPGA developer but I do work for a company that sells products
that do highspeed data transmission from FPGA to computer.  Our products
historically use IDE and are now being rewritten to use PCIe but that is not
a simple protocol.

For 8 Mbps I think your only option is an interface with at least some
overhead.

However you should be able to find a loadable module without writing much
code, no?  If your computer has it you could try IDE but you need to be able
to DMA and would need to write a custom driver to dump the data.  TBH
Ethernet might be the simplest way to do it.  I don't think SPI would be
fast enough and USB2 has a ton of overhead.

Tom