[Lab] yellow jackets and electricity

Paul & Andrea Mumby themumbys at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:34:56 EDT 2011

You diffuse it a 1W laser can burn things, but won't cut metals or anything
hard at all. Some aluminum would probably diffuse it just fine. Just diffuse
it in a way it can't escape into the open (dangerous to your eyes). Like
have a "cup" that the beam shines into made of aluminum that reflects any
remaining diffuse beams into the nest itself. Once diffused it should have
no power to light fires or anything like that. eventually the beam might
build up a bit of scorch from dust and such in the cup which would
diffuse/absorb the beam as heat... But 1W generates nowhere near enough heat
to damage the aluminum... it would simply dissipate in the aluminum
receiving cup...

I mean playing with 1W lasers is not something to take lightly, but if
designed right you could create a beam "net" around an aperture which would
not release any laser radiation out. You could even stick a sheet of laser
opaque, but transparent plastic outside the whole assembly with ample space
so the wasps still try to get through. But that any reflected beam off the
wasp itself wouldn't have a chance of bouncing out and into someones eye.

But yeah based on the figuring building an actual useful rig for this would
be extreme overkill lol... probably cost you a couple hundred all in. But it
would be amusing to have a laser to blast unwanted wasps lol...

Another thought would be keep the aperture relatively small, and focus the
beam sharply at the center point. the wasp would get a nasty dose of the
beam but once the beam travels a foot or two it will diverge so much it will
be heavily out of focus and beam strength will be reduced significantly.
bounce it off a diffuser of some kind and it will be mostly harmless by the
time it travelled any distance to a nearby human or animal.

- Paul