[Lab] yellow jackets and electricity

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Mon Aug 29 18:05:07 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 05:44:46PM -0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> Those laser diodes aren't too expensive.
>
> But I guess I need current drivers for 30.00 (that's 2 drivers).
>
> I think I need a heat sink (45.00?) and perhaps a lens (5.00).
>
> I think if it could work it could make for a pretty effective way of
> stopping the yellow jackets. It would just be a matter of putting this
> device near where they enter their nest and it would (in theory get rid of
> the community).

My main concern would be where/how do you aim that sucker?  It isn't the
kind of thing that peters out a whole lot with distance, so whatever is
behind it is toast.  If you aim it up, hoping to avoid hitting anything,
it'll still hit birds and planes...  Perhaps I just don't understand
lasers well enough yet...

> These pests are an ongoing problem so I am prepared to come up with a device
> even it if take some time and I have to learn a few things. As it stands
> every time I have to deal with the little buggers it takes plenty of time to
> assess, take precautions and use various means to combat them and follow up.

I like the parallel screens of charged wire.  Put 'em vertical so they
auto-empty and just close enough together so that they just within
wingspan...

> The only concern I have for the laser is it's dangerous for humans. I
> suppose if the lens were dropped then it would only do damage at close
> range. Perhaps there could be a tube they have to get through and the laser
> is in there and the beam can't get out.

Can't laser cutting diodes also cut metal, and if not, reflect?  Where
does that power go?

> This laser thing is worth looking into since it could have other
> applications...

Indeed!  However, it sounds dangerous...  mostly because of my
ignorance.

> I ordered a disposable camera for about 12 bucks with shipping. That might
> work too.

That's a good starting point.

> Either way I think I need a trigger to only deliver the punch when the
> animal is in the right area. (So the thing can run for a while on
> batteries). Like Michael says, if there is continuous charge on the grid (in
> the high voltage case), it will discharge on contact. Hmmm, that's sounding
> better all the time, all I have to do is keep the capacitor charged.

Some systems, like animal electric fences, stay charged all the time and
are kept running with a small solar panel, so they can't take that much
power...  You can get those things at Princess Auto.

> I suppose I might not get lucky and reuse this thing since they may not have
> an exclusive access point. It's just that this time they're in the roof and
> I can't use my usual means.

Last time, I tried several ways to get rid of a nest in the
balcony 1st floor ceiling-2nd floor floor and resorted to calling a
professional.  Before calling the pros, we had them in 3 different holes
into the same space.  It helped, but didn't completely eliminate it.
We've now got one of these hanging in the vicinity:
	http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/MosquitoPestControl/InsectControl/PRD~0593500P/Bee-Free+Natural+Wasp+Deterrent,+2-Pk.jsp?locale=en
We haven't had a problem since, touch wood...

Now that I think of it, Marcus Wandel, who has actually come out to one
of our modlab meetings, made this contraption to get rid of his
yellow-jacket problem:
	http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/built/wasp-sucker.html

	slainte mhath, RGB