[Lab] arduino programming methodology

Trevyn Watson trevyn at dybydx.ca
Sun Aug 7 14:40:47 EDT 2011

Yeah, debugging is one area where Arduino falls a bit short, which is
unfortunate since it's aimed at people new to programming.

However, there is an option:

AVRs support a protocol called DebugWIRE, which uses the reset pin as a
two-way communication port to get debugging info into and out of the
chip. You need a piece of hardware to interface DebugWIRE to your
computer. The cheapest at the moment is the AVR Dragon, available at
Digikey: http://bit.ly/o5jlke. It supports a vast number of AVRs, and  a
few useful programming modes in addition to DebugWIRE - HVPP (useful if
you screwed up the fuses on a chip), JTAG, and ISP (for loading the
Arduino bootloader or using your AVR without it).

The Dragon interfaces with AVR Studio and gives you direct control over
the registers including IO, and the ability to single-step through your
programs. I've used it, but never with an Arduino. I found a blog post
that explains very thoroughly what it is and how to do it:
https://husks.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/modify-an-arduino-for-debugwire/