[Gridflow-dev] Fwd: trying to use the [#record] function in Gridflow

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 14 19:28:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, ALAN BROOKER wrote:

> Appreciate the effort gone into porting gridflow to PPC/Apple- yes when
> I used [#from_pix] it did have a blueish hue- to an extent I put in down
> to my ageing Mac G4 hardware just not rendering things-this stuff is
> getting old!

It sounds strictly like your version of [#from_pix] is swapping the red
and blue channels. This is surely due to my mistakes, and is certainly
something that we tried using a PPC emulator on a MacIntel laptop, but
accidentally appeared to work, possibly because it's not a real PPC. I
really thought I had fixed everything at the time of GF 9.9. We need to
find a real PPC box to test this.

> For my part I have/am migrating to Ubuntu and everything is running more
> smoothly  now- although if I try to use the [#record] object now it
> crashes the whole patch - is there a specific file it should be saved as
> under Ubuntu? .avi or just the same .mov?

It's supposed to be working with both the .mov suffix and the .avi suffix,
but when I try to encode a .avi, it encodes it in QuickTime format, the
same as .mov ... because the encoder doesn't really check for the file
suffix, only [#out] checks the suffix, and [#out] doesn't really know
about specific formats.

Apart from that, I don't have any problems at all with the encoding under
Ubuntu, but I have not run it on PPC since 2006, and I didn't try the
libquicktime stuff back then.

I will need more info about the crash. Do you know how to send me a
backtrace ?