[Gridflow-dev] compiling prob...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 22 10:11:37 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, james tittle wrote:

> g++ -fno-common -g -Os  -fno-common -pipe -fno-common -I/Applications/
> Pd.app/Contents/Resources/include -I/usr/local/include -I/Users/
> tigital/include -xc++ -fno-operator-names -fno-omit-frame-pointer -I/
> usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin -I/Users/tigital/
> puredataDev/Gem/src -falign-functions=16 -DMACOSX  -Wall  -Wno-unused
> -Wunused-variable -O3 -funroll-loops  -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g     -fPIC
> -I. -I. -I -I.  -I/sw/lib/system-openssl/include -I/sw/include -xobjective-c++
> -c format/quartz.m.fcs -o format/quartz.o
> format/../base/grid.h.fcs:564: error: declaration does not declare anything

I have no clue why Objective-C++ doesn't understand that line. Is there a
macro called "check"? I hope not...

> format/quartz.m.fcs:47: warning: type `Pt<uint8>' has a user-defined
> constructor
> format/quartz.m.fcs:47: warning: C++ constructors and destructors will not be
> invoked for Objective-C fields

Maybe that splitting quartz.m in two, one part pure C++ and one part pure
ObjC, would solve quite a few problems. It's ugly, but less trouble. It's
also almost done already, if you look at the way I wrote quartz.m, which I
couldn't have wanted it that way if not for circumventing incredible bugs
in early gcc 3.x compilers. I have the impression that the whole ObjC++
thing is a hack.

> format/quartz.m.fcs:173: warning: converting to 'unsigned char' from 'float'

I have just cleaned those, thanks.

> ...obviously most of those are warnings, but I don't understand why
> check() gives a problem here and not in other files (like
> format/opengl.c)?  Maybe it's something to do with quartz.m being an
> objc file?

yes, it's the damn objc++ language mode.

please, in the future, post to gridflow-dev for that kind of thing.