[Lab] QR / Registration / ??? Concept

Jamie jamie at steppinofftheedge.com
Wed Jan 29 12:07:20 EST 2014

Hello,

I'm working on web site component of a conference with Carleton U and the
organizer mentioned a desire to improve the registration check-in process.
Thought maybe someone on this list might have seen a solid solution or have
an idea on creating one?

*The Details*

   - Most conferences default to having pre-printed schedules, name badges
   and materials available through a volunteer base co-ordinating people into
   lines based on last name to get their materials.

   - Some use QR code or kiosk to input email and on-demand print of same
   name badges, materials, etc.

   - They would like to find a balance between the two which have the pros
   of each and none of the cons - no lines, small need for volunteer army to
   checkin but not at-risk of printer malfunction or network issue from
   on-demand print.

My brain went to grocery store self-checkout change return system concept.
Some kind of setup that allows:

   - pre-printed materials placed into envelopes that are numbered and/or
   QR coded
   - When person arrives they provide email or QR code
   - The system drops their envelope out for pickup.
   - If network goes down, volunteers only need to check name to # to
   numerically find an envelope.

No idea of budget - but I'd be happy to connect the dots for anyone
interested in pursuing.

Jamie