[Pdmtl] Two job postings @ InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre, Toronto

Michael Lechasseur mlecha at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 19 09:01:20 EDT 2006

InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre
invites applications for
two technology-oriented positions
in our production studio environment

InterAccess is dedicated to expanding the cultural space of technology. We fulfill
our mandate through our internationally renowned exhibition programmes, newly
renovated media production studio and innovative educational activities. Unique to
Canada, InterAccess has been at the forefront of electronic and new media arts in
this country since 1983.

InterAccess provides all staff with an opportunity to participate in a growing
organization within a dynamic artistic environment. After one full year in our new
and renovated location in the heart of Toronto's Queen West gallery district,
InterAccess is at a key stage of growth, and in
particular, we have targeted our production studio for development over the next
five years. The two positions of Studio Coordinator and Studio Technician will be
involved in the future planning of this state-of-the-art laboratory and all
associated programmes.

For more information about InterAccess, visit http://www.interaccess.org.

1. STUDIO COORDINATOR
InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre is seeking an organized,
technologically savvy administrator/installer for the position of Studio Coordinator.

The Studio Coordinator is responsible for the administration, maintenance and
planning of all studio activities, including our production facilities, workshop
programme and member-based user groups. This position is also the primary support
for InterAccess gallery installations, and manages the network infrastructure of our
site. The Studio Coordinator works with all staff to fulfill the mandate of
InterAccess.

Reporting to the Director, the Studio Coordinator is a part-time employee with a
one-year renewable contract and professional development
opportunities. The position requires 21 hours per week with occasional
evenings/weekends, and is scheduled to begin November 6, 2006.

The primary responsibility of the Studio Coordinator is the smooth functioning of
all aspects of our interactive media and electronics production facility, as well as
technical aspects of our gallery and offices. This includes planning and
recommending equipment purchases; creating and maintaining studio inventory;
managing rental and facility usage systems; troubleshooting and reporting technical
needs; maintaining the digital infrastructure of the facilities; ensuring studio
facilities safety; planning and supporting studio events; liaising with the Studio
Technician on the needs of members; and facilitating member-driven initiatives. The
Studio Coordinator acts as the Chair of the InterAccess Studio Advisory Group and
makes recommendations on studio activities.

The Studio Coordinator also spearheads the educational workshop planning for
InterAccess, developing curriculum in conjunction with relevant staff and
volunteers, booking instructors, writing programme descriptions, and managing
workshop scheduling and registration. The Studio Coordinator may have the
opportunity to teach workshops in his or her area of expertise, if relevant.

Additionally, the Studio Coordinator installs art works in our main gallery space,
working closely with artists and occasionally contract installers and technicians.
The Studio Coordinator may work on InterAccess off-site exhibitions or assist
affiliated organizations with their technical needs.

Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
 - Degree in Media Arts or related discipline
 - Strong knowledge of contemporary new media and visual art practices,
especially within Canada; strong knowledge of and interest in new media, interactive
and electronic arts, with an emphasis on new technologies - Proven experience in
office administration, particularly inventory and database systems
- Direct experience installing contemporary works of art, with an emphasis on media
artworks and audio-visual and computer-based systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong knowledge of English
language; French language considered an asset
- Excellent computer skills, including Macintosh networking and
troubleshooting
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to multi-task and attention to detail;
ability to work toward tight deadlines and keep projects on schedule and on budget
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment; able to take
direction

Please send letter of interest and curriculum vitae to
Dana Samuel, Director
InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre
9 Ossington Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6J 2Y8
dana at interaccess.org

All applications must be received by 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 6, 2006. Printed
applications sent by regular mail preferred. If sending by email, provide PDF files
only. No phone calls or faxes, please.

InterAccess is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their
interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

2. STUDIO TECHNICIAN
InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre is seeking an electronics and interactivity
guru for the position of Studio Technician.

Reporting to the Director, and liaising with the Studio Coordinator, the Studio
Technician acts as a technical mentor to InterAccess members and artists, assisting
with member projects and troubleshooting art works in the InterAccess gallery. The
Studio Technician also assists with facilities planning, and in-house equipment
troubleshooting and maintenance, including office and gallery facilities.
Occasionally, the Studio Technician may provide support for InterAccess off-site
exhibitions or assist affiliated organizations with their technical needs. The
Studio Technician has the opportunity to teach workshops in his or her area of
expertise.

The Studio Technician is a part-time employee with a one-year renewable contract and
opportunities for professional development. The position requires an average of 7
hours per week with regular evening and weekend work as required, and with
possibilities for additional paid hours, as necessary. This position is scheduled to
begin November 6, 2006.

Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Degree in Media Arts or related discipline
- Strong knowledge of contemporary new media and visual art practices, especially
within Canada; strong knowledge of and interest in new media, interactive and
electronic arts, with an emphasis on new technologies - A specialty in at least one
of the following, with familiarity in at least one other area: graphical programming
environments such as MAX/MSP/Jitter, PureData; electronics, microprocessors, sensors
- Assets include: experience in multiple platforms, computer languages, software
applications such as Final Cut Pro, ProTools, DVD Studio Pro, website development
including PHP, as well as experience with physical art installations that include an
electronics or new media component, and basic construction skills
- Patience and diplomacy when working with artists and members requiring technical
assistance and services
- Experience in teaching technical concepts to artists
- Excellent office computer skills, including Macintosh networking and troubleshooting