[Pdmtl] [PD] 24 bit causing distortion

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 13 01:27:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, hard off wrote:
> i don't know...but is it still ok for me to have 16 bit ears?

Sure... I made all of my music compositions using 8-bit samples, and I
still think they sound nice :-)

And then I remember spending a lot of time composing on a 1-bit (that's 1
as in _one_) sound output. The software I used was actually *dithering*
the sound in pretty much the same way it's done for pictures to simulate
the extra bits of colour. (!!!) It rendered in ultrasounds and then relied
on the speaker's natural [lop~] to make it sound like smooth audible
sounds.

But the thing I missed the most while composing using a PC Speaker, was
that the damn thing didn't have a subwoofer... :-( I think I must then
have switched to using my parents' computer because _they_ had a 8-bit
soundcard that I could plug into normal speakers.