[Lab] Removing chip from presto card

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:34:29 EST 2016

   I had the exact same thought and discussed this with some friends
recently when I got frustrated that my second Presto card cracked in the
cold weather.

   The magic wand guy is kindof a hero. :) My understanding is that the
Presto cards use an encryption system, so you can't transfer the data off
of them. The most successful "transplants" I've seen have involved
dissolving the cards in a weak acid solution and then transplanting the
skeleton as-is into something else, but the antenna wires are very delicate
and prone to damage.

   I'm curious! I wonder if we can get Presto to ship us up some blank
cards for... "experimental purposes".

    My dream presto card is a weather-proof slab of acrylic with a
bluetooth chip so you can find it after it accidentally slips into the
laundry pile in a pair of your old jeans. :) The Monday Morning Frantic
Presto Card Search is a weekly ritual around our place.

   -Jason Cobill