[Lab] Ahmed's Clock - Discussion

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:13:53 EDT 2015

   This is from a while ago, but came up on my twitter feed:
   https://boingboing.net/2007/09/21/mit-student-arrested.html
   The story is about an MIT student who wore a light-up hoodie (with an
exposed breadboard) to the Boston airport to pick up a friend and has guns
drawn on her.
   *"She's extremely lucky she followed the instructions or deadly force
would have been used," Pare told The Associated Press. "And she's lucky to
be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."*

   How risky is it to leave an exposed lilipad board on your sleeve, or to
have loose wires hanging from a wearable?
   How important is the context? Clearly I can get away with something
hacked together at Maker Faire - could I ride a bus or visit a busy mall
with a sense of security?

   To be fair, I'm playing devil's advocate a little:
   I think skin colour is probably a factor in both of the cases I posted.
As a white middle-aged male I think it's unlikely police are going to shoot
me for wearing a blinky sweater. Combine a circuit with a hijab though, and
I'm less optimistic that you'll get an easy pass.

   -Jason Cobill