[Lab] Makerspace Wish List

Matthew Bells matt at mbells.ca
Wed Apr 29 09:53:12 EDT 2015

Kwartzlab has been adding and pruning the tools for over 5 years now. There is a partial list here: http://www.kwartzlab.ca/wiki/Asset_List

What you really need to consider is initial cost, space, maintenance effort and cost, and how many members use each set of tools (you can see that we have 3D printing, laser cutter, woodworking, metal working, textiles, and a few other misc disciplines). We have lots of small hand tools, but don’t bother inventorying these… many can be picked up cheap from garage sales, auctions, or donations. It is worth splitting these into disciplines and trying to fill out the tools in that area before acquiring ones for another (e.g. become good at woodworking before branching into metal working).

Another thing that has really helped is our artist in residence program. We get someone in for 3 month periods to use the makerspace. Many become members afterwards. More importantly, they tend to use the facilities at non-peak times and are experts in making stuff. This helps direct tool choices.

-Matt