[Lab] AGM

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sun Oct 19 22:43:34 EDT 2014

Your note is appreciated. My questions aren't answered though.

Yes, it was awkward (but necessary) to meet with people on the AGM night.
There were people who are not in the invited group and other outsiders.
People that didn't want to attend and kicked out people. It's the law (in
terms of retaining legal status) known to some but not to most. And it's
not the law for non members, the general public and people that were just
attending modlab. I knew my meeting would receive poop though. I'm
interested in the wide community not just an inner group that controls a
specific resource.

I realize there are possible improvements to the *official *way to be a
member of the community that is artengine (and mattering). Needing
improvement is never a fault in itself.

Does the controlling group want "members" to know what's going on and have
their input?

If so it's easy (regardless of legal structure). If there's some activity
that includes both members and controlling group then it might be natural
(activity among members is good, ways of members discovering each other).
AGM might not be a good example since it represents a small amount of time
each year and not a real time for dialogue (outside of telling what's up).
If it was called the MGM that'd be different. But nobody's invited to that.

Some members (I'm assuming they are members since they say or think they
are) tell me they would not recognize numerous of the people in the
controlling group. This worth thinking about.

On that note, at the moment it's hard to know if your a member. I
personally think I might be. On one hand my membership has expired. On the
other hand, I heard a rumor that the membership was status quo till the end
of the year. Will there be communication on this? Surely I'm not the only
member (or expired member) that missed the meeting. Or am I?

A disconnect. Is this a fail of genuine interest (by the controlling group)
or just some logistical, complicated business oogabooga?

I understand private clubs and business and family businesses. I had some
hope this was more of a communal project. That's more the issue here. But
don't trivialize this as an expectation thing. Funds are given with some
communal expectation right?

By they way, don't think for a moment I think artengine doesn't do good. It
clearly does. But I feel let down on wanting to be a member of your
community and not just being a subscriber to service that comes and goes
based on someone else's interest/convenience.

Also don't think for a moment that I have not used obvious channels like
talking to people in the organization to be involved in the usual way one
would. Most of encounters were "resolved' by

-not answering my questions,
-some assertion that there are two sides, "members" and the organization
(one makes decisions the other hears about them)
-or asking for a some softness based on profound incompetence (Hanlon's
Razor).

Darcy
subscriber

--