[Lab] 3d point cloud and .ply

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 21:47:59 EDT 2014

   Hi Benoit,

   Has anyone answered your question yet?

   Meshlab also reads OBJ files, there are a bunch of pre-built libraries
that will dump OBJs with lots of options.
   http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/tools/obj/ (by the very cool *nervous system*
crew)
   It might choke on point clouds - you may need to use Toxiclibs to
convert the point cloud array into a mesh first. (Toxiclibs are soooo handy)

   There don't seem to be a lot of options for dumping directly to PLY, but
the file format is straight text... you can write your own PLY text file
export!
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLY_(file_format)   (The specifics of PLY)
   http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/ply/    (More details)
   https://www.packtpub.com/books/content/exporting-processing   (Exporting
in processing)

   Here's a PLY reader app, which you can kind of reverse-engineer into a
simple exporter.
   http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/7032

   If you need a hand writing an export tool, we can give it a go together.
It would be a fun project, and I love fiddling with the Kinect.

   -Jason Cobill