[Lab] another thought about learning arduino: budget

Justin Hornosty jjrh70 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:29:12 EST 2014

amos at polkaroo.net writes:

> I'm keen to attend. I'd be up for attending a beginner session where the
> goal is to learn the environment and capabilities while building something
> relatively simple. I'd also be up for a second session not long after
> (don't want to forget everything) where we make something more elaborate
> (and expensive). People could always choose to team up if the material cost
> for the second workshop became a problem - but if people can foot the bill
> they could tackle it themselves.
>
> For something more complicated, I'd be up for something like this, but
> reacting to ifttt.com recipes or other input to set the colour.
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Twitter-Mood-Light-The-Worlds-Mood-in-a-Box/

What exactly is the cost breakdown? Perhaps if it's targeted at the
never touched an arduino people then buying all the parts on the spot
makes sense. If it's targeted at slightly more advanced people, many of
us would already have most of the parts required.

Not that I'm exactly worried about paying $20-$50 but (and perhaps i'm
not the target for a workshop like this) I don't see the point of owning
yet another arduino. I do however understand that it may not be
fair/cost effective to have half the people bring their own
stuff. (Mouser and I think digi key have free shipping/duty on orders
over $200 and ~10 people might make sense)

-jjrh