[Lab] Crowd funded 3d printers

aaron at ottawarobotics.org aaron at ottawarobotics.org
Thu Jul 17 10:46:35 EDT 2014

The craftbot seems to be a bit of fluff. They are talking like they are
fixing problems, but really they are targeting "issues" from a year or
two ago and aren't really coming up with much new. The custom software
and hardware makes me think that you'll end up regretting not having a
standard solution later on when these guys go out of business and you
are left holding the bag.

The Cobblebot looks like it will end up being a wobblebot. Bigger
printers need better mechanical structure and it looks like they've just
increased the dimensions without much thought. Also the price is really
aggressive... There isn't any margin for mistakes or problems along the
way. That leads to failed kickstarters normally.

I'm with Darcy... buy an existing printer which is proven rather than
promises of greatness 6 months to a year out. A lot can change between
now and when these things maybe deliver... why not print in the
meantime.

Personally I like the Printrbot Simple as a good starter printer.
Decently priced, good community support and robust. Once you have that,
build the next one from scratch using the Printrbot to print parts and
upgrades.

Aaron