[Lab] Google Cardboard, aka the "Oculus Thrift"

dave at huntgang.com dave at huntgang.com
Sun Jul 6 12:06:03 EDT 2014

I had said that I would take two sets of lens' in case it would help
ensure we were able to place an order. I really only need one pair so I
can certainly go back down to one set if we now have enough people now.
But I will let the "procurement officer" confirm he still had me down
for two before getting any hopes up LOL

Dave

On 2014-07-06 4:26 am,
Darcy Whyte wrote:

> I'm not sure of the order status but if worse
comes to worse you can borrow or have mine. I tend not to keep things
from projects after I'm done fiddling...

> --
> Darcy Whyte

Software Since '88 siteware.com [3] | Contact: darcy at siteware.com |
613-563-3634 by appointment

Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Paul & Andrea Mumby <themumbys at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> A couple things, first, can I still get in on a pair of
these lenses? Second I've been designing a 3D Printable version of the
apparatus, which is a bit more flexible for multiple phone models, and
supports focus/IPD adjustment. It's not done yet...

>> Anyway just
throwing that out there.

Sutherland <kirk.sutherland at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So last night in
anticipation of building our own cardboard(TM) I installed the app from
google on my S4. I have none of the parts needed so I wasn't expecting
anything that great. The first challenge came from needing to 'click' in
order to proceed to the menu. This is done by moving the included magnet
switch up and down, with no magnet I reached for the closest thing to me
I knew had a magnet in it - my cordless phone (in the speaker). Just
moving the cordless up and down close to the side of the phone worked
like a charm and I was able to navigate the menu. My first impression
was that the motion detection was very sensitive, I wasn't expecting it
to be so responsive. Then I loaded up the street view option from the
menu and squished my face against the screen until the two images merged
into one. Even with an extremely blurry image the 3D effect was quite
apparent and moving my head around allowed me to 'look around' the
world. I don't think I have stopped smiling since. I can't wait to try
this with those lenses!

<arnold.jason at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
we want to look COOL while we're doing this :P

14:03 GMT-04:00 Jason Cobill <jason.cobill at gmail.com>:

> [...]
crossing your eyes works too (as though you were doing one of those
magic-eye things) but I find it's hard to stay focused when there's a
lot of action - your eyes want to go back to parallel when you scan
around.
stereoscope toy work great until the slide changes, and then my eyes
crank hard and I get an instant migraine. :)

may vary. You may be able to fudge it with two toilet paper rolls and
some good eye muscles.

Google's I/O 2014: https://developers.google.com/cardboard/ [1]

The hard part apparently is finding the right spec of lenses: biconvex,
25mm diameter, 40mm focal length. I've found some for $7 USD per pair (+
shipping) if we buy 5 pairs. Are there 3 others out there who wanna join
Darcy and I in our cardboard VR future?

Lab at artengine.ca to send your message to the list

[2]

[2]