[Lab] QR / Registration / ??? Concept

Alan Gardner alanctgardner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 12:18:28 EST 2014

The idea of using a robot to dispense pre-printed materials is alluring,
but it seems like it might be more failure-prone than print-on-demand. My
low(ish)-cost proposal:

- Partition your attendees by last name, so each last name can only use one
terminal. Put the attendee list for each terminal on a USB key (maybe a
SQLite database?).
- Have n terminals, each with a range of last names, with a B&W laser
printer attached directly
- Attendees check-in on the terminal with a unique code from an email, and
the local printer prints on demand and updates the database on the USB key.

Each terminal is stand-alone, so there's no risk of network issues. You
might want to have n+1 terminals, so you can move the USB key to a new
terminal in the event of a printer/computer failure.

Just a thought.