[Lab] range finding

Adam Hill theadbo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:14:11 EST 2014

Hi Darcy,

I've had occasion to think about similar things over the last couple of
years. I wasn't sure what exactly you meant by '20 foot distance'.
Do you mean track them in 3 dimensions inside a 20 ft radius? If so, then
you probably want to go with machine vision (kinect (1st gen) is probably
easier to get up and running but there are some libraries for doing this
with a webcam (not as performant)).

If you mean measure a linear distance from the source to the person, or a
boolean indication of the presence of a person, up to 20ft away, then I
would say something similar to the hardware you're currently using. I would
note that in my experience these are not created equally. I like the MB1210
(
http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/MB1210-Ultrasonic-Range-Finder-%252d-XL%252dMaxSonar%252dEZ1.html).
It was the most reliable out to just less than 20 ft, and is specifically
calibrated for people detection.

Good luck!
-a