[Lab] ESP8266 issues and data logger (Ken McKinnon)

Adrian Jones adrian at woodsgood.ca
Mon Dec 8 15:05:41 EST 2014

Ken,
You raise an interesting idea but I'm not sure that this is required.
Watchdog timers are great if the Arduino misbehaves. However, the issue I
have is that it is the ESP8266 that  gets stuck in a loop, not the Arduino.
When it is in this 'stuck' state, subsequent AT commands to the ESP8266
throw errors (which I can capture) and this is a good indication that it
needs resetting.

I already use an Arduino pin (via Schottky diode and 10k pull-up to 3.3V) to
force a reset of the ESP8266 during the setup. This leaves it in a known
state before I start sending AT commands to it. I have now added code to
force a reset if 10 errors are seen in succession. This should address the
problem.

Message: 5