[Lab] Oracle is providing a free Java on Raspberry Pi course

Justin Slootsky justin at slootsky.org
Sat Apr 19 08:27:27 EDT 2014

(the recommended parts kit is $90 though)

https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=44785%3A145%3A0%3A%3A%3A%3AP145_EVENT_ID%2CP145_PREV_PAGE%3A1841%2C143&fb_action_ids=629798357094444&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Starts May 30.  Course description from the page:

Based on the overwhelming response for the Java Embedded MOOC currently underway - we are offering the course again
Have you wondered what the future of embedded devices looks like?
Have you ever wanted to create your own weather station or design a device to control the lights in your home automatically?
All of these questions will be answered in this practical hands-on course. This course introduces Java developers to the world of embedded devices and the Internet of Things (IoT). Embedded controllers are already a part of our lives. Meters read electric and water usage and send the readings to a central office. Electronic thermostats turn on the heat and air conditioning as required.
Java Embedded leverages your experience with Java to open the world of the Internet of Things by providing direct access to electronic sensors and mechanical devices.