[Lab] Help? I can't wrap my head around transistors / mosfets.

Ken McKinnon klmckinnon at rogers.com
Mon Nov 25 18:20:33 EST 2013

I started writing a response, but figured someone out there in google
land would have a better explanation.

Try http://sunburst.usd.edu/~schieber/psyc770/transistors101.html

If I recall, the arduino is a 3.3 volt device, so you may need something
like a optocoupler in between your arduino and the transistor that would
need to be at a bit higher voltage to turn on completely.
As an aside, a PWM control would probably control the heat to a much
finer degree, with a lot fewer parts....
Good luck on your project, if you need more or that link isn't precise
enough to get you on path, ping again.

Ken