[Lab] Laser Update

Andrew Post AndrewPost at AndrewPost.ca
Mon May 27 11:13:36 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I'm Andrew, an undergrad Mechanical Engineering student at Carleton. I'm
new and haven't visited the lab yet. A few ideas and comments after a few
summers of HVAC installation.

- I picked an 8" inline fan during the Glebe garage sale. ~$350MSRP for $20
used, ~580 cubic feet per minute. Elicent AXC 200B Data sheet here:
http://www.elicent.it/upload/allegatiprodotti/axc.DYN4eb29f21cc79e.pdf
- Most fan types will work for venting the laser. Shorter duct runs, with
higher radius turns are preferred.
- Use aluminum foil tape to seal the joints (surfaces need to be fairly
clean), available at hardware stores. Duct tape disintegrates after a few
months. Alternately a more permanent seal can be created with duct sealer,
(borrow from an HVAC guy, see http://www.ductmate.com/product.aspx?id=23).

I can help build a hood if the laser doesn't have a build in air collection
system.

Sincerely,
Andrew Post
Mechanical Engineering Student