[Lab] Chemistry help: moding Inkjet Printers

Stephane Beauchamp-Kiss stephane.beauchampkiss at gmail.com
Mon May 27 15:43:27 EDT 2013

Good afternoon all,

I'm wondering if there's any members out there with a background in
chemistry who would be interested in exploring an idea/project with
me:

I have used laser cutting in the past to create stencils for various
art projects. This is definitely a popular application of this
technology (silkscreening/art/signs). However, I have found several
disadvantages: laser cutters aren't readily available, they are
expensive to own privately (especially in larger sizes), the cost of
services such as ponoko.com is still high, designs need to be vector
graphics, and there are limitations to the level of detail of the
design.

My idea: using standard inkjet printers/plotters to create stencils.
The idea would be to add a chemical to the ink in an inkjet cartridge,
such that it reacts with cellulose in the paper and dissolves it into
a relatively safe/environmentally friendly gas. NMMO is a chemical
that appear promising; it is used in industry for dissolving cellulose
and has a history of use as an additive to inkjet ink to increase the
intensity of colors on paper; in larger concentrations it may dissolve
the paper (though it may turn it into a liquid goop). Another
alternative is an paper pre-treatment that would react with another
chemical added to the inket cartridge. I recognize the dangers and
obstacles associated with this project. I have a safe, controlled area
in my home in Westboro to work on this project.

What I'm looking for is a partner in crime with some chemistry
background who would be interested in meeting and exploring this idea
with me. The long term goal is to develop/market a home DIY stenciling
kit for inkjet printers.

I welcome any comments on this projects, even critisism. To be honest,
I have received a fair bit already and I am aware that there may
simply be too many obstacles to make this one fly. Doesn't mean I
won't try ;)

Cheers!

    Stephane Arthur Kiss, M.A.Sc
    Producer: Art, Music, Design