[Lab] Open Question: What are you working on?

mike Jans mjans at live.com
Thu May 23 15:24:49 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,
Back when I was a student, my roomate and I built furniture using cardboard and duct tape. There was a place on bank street that put out a lot of card board angles every recycling day, about 1 or two blocks south of sunnyside. I think the place was Elite home decorating. The angles had legs of about 2" and were composed of densely laminated layers.
Using sheet metal screws, I was able to form rough I-beams C-channels, as well as using the base angle for trusses. I was able to build a two tiered shelf holding up books and my printer with limited sag development over the course of months.
You didn't specify what the ramps would be for, but I think pedestrian traffic wouldn't be too hard. If you build it right, I think these things could be used to build a ramp structure that could support lawn tractors, 4 wheelers, etc.
Hope that gives you some ideas.
Mike