[Lab] Open Question: Dumbest Thing You've Done While Making

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Mon Jun 24 17:31:13 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 04:53:04PM -0400, Jason Cobill wrote:
> That's amazing! I had no idea the uO solar car generated that much current!
> What kind of motor was all that power being used to drive? I was under the
> impression it was a tiny motor running at high RPM and geared down for
> torque.

It was a Uniq Mobility 10kW motor.  That motor/controller combination
wasn't nearly as effective at shorting out the battery pack as a small
gold ring.  ;-)    Much of the competition was using Solectria motors at
that time.  Within about 5 years, pretty much the entire field had
switched over to in-wheel motors made by New Generation Motors (NGM), a
company founded by a number of George Washington University solar car
team members.

> Zot's a pretty cool nickname, though. ;)

It makes me think of the "BC" comic strip...  (I say this as I watch a
huge black cloud criss-crossed by jagged white lines completely fill my
large west-facing 4th-floor window at UQO on Tache in Gatineau.)

	slainte mhath, RGB