[Lab] AC adapter question

Britta Evans-Fenton technical at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 11 18:49:14 EDT 2013

A little question about AC adapters.

I have an artwork that I did that I used an AC adapter to get power.  It
was on for 4 days during a show, and I was surprised on how hot it got.  (I
almost burned myself).  I did have duct tape on it holding it to the back
of a wall, so that may have been half the problem.

I'm showing the work again, but I'm wanting to make sure everything is
safe.  I need to hide the adapter due to aesthetic reasons, so I wanted to
create a little white box around it with air holes, and I was suggested a
fan, although it if it getting hot due to over working, adding another fan
might not be a good idea.

It is only a bunch of IR leds that it is powering, so I'm surprised at the
power I am needing.

any help would be very well appreciated.

Here is the Adapter I used :

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/VGS-25-5/102-1928-ND/2045659

Here are the IR LEDS:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/QED233/QED233-ND/187410

And the Resistors I have on them were 91 OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM.

Britta
*Technical Coordinator *
Artengine.ca

Ottawa Mini Maker Faire