[Lab] Plastic Bending Strips

Michael Grant michael at krazatchu.ca
Thu Jul 4 16:25:45 EDT 2013

That power supply is also known as an autotransformer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

Care should be taken with an autotransformer, while the voltage can be set
low, there is no, none, zero galvanic isolation.
Meaning the full current of the service is available (20amps). Treat the
output as you would treat 120VAC direct from a receptacle...

I've never seen one in the lab, but they do have a variable  DC supply that
is maybe 3amps and 30v max.
Depending on the load, the heating element, you might be able to use one of
those twisty things for lights...
Alternatively, an AC thermostat for bang bang control with hysteria should
also work if you keep the thermal loop tight.

The last and best option would be a ~$14 PID controller from ebay, that
would give the best thermal regulation.
Sometimes they come in a kit with an SSR (solid state relay) and a
thermocouple for a little more dough...
Here's one kit for $24...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-240V-Digital-PID-Temperature-Controller-max-40A-SSR-K-Thermocouple-Probe-/290825156892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b687b91c

Michael