[Lab] MS Kinect question

j ross waterfallclose at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 13:30:49 EDT 2013

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the feedback - sounds like I should order the
Kinect for Windows if just to avoid connector issues (+$200 is an expensive
connector though - 2x the price of the sensor seems a bit much, even for
MS?  :).

I'm just assembling a new PC so hopefully everything is up-to-date (Win8 -
unfortunately) I opted for a new build rather than a laptop so I could have
the option of multi-sensor in the future.
Where did you order your Kinect from?  I'm currently looking at Techdepot
but would appreciate any buyer advice - I haven't ordered from them before.

BTW - room scanning is a nice-to-have, not a strict requirement at this
point.  I'm more interested in people scanning and gesture tracking (for
automation control) at the moment.
Any thoughts on Artec Studio?  The ability to auto-create a "watertight"
mesh is attractive, but pricey.

Jeff