[Lab] OTTrees: an open data web app

Emily Daniels emily.daniels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 12:42:54 EDT 2013

Hey All,

Not hardware, but software related; I made a web application with James
DeMond that uses the city of Ottawa's tree inventory data set to show a
bird’s eye view of the city, displaying the trees by taking the diameter at
breast height (d.b.h.) of the tree and calculating the approximate spread
of the tree given it’s species and estimated age as well as the seasonal
foliage here <http://www.ottrees.com/>.

It's a bit slow right now, but if you'd like to play with the code it's on
Github here <https://github.com/emdaniels/ottrees> and I wrote about the
making of it here<http://www.emilydaniels.com/2013/04/the-making-of-ottrees/>.
In the process I also took the oldest trees of each species over 500 years
old and made an ancient tree bike route through the city
here<https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207547909246875332554.0004db82e2dc101c79649&msa=0>.
Feedback is welcome!

Emily